3/6/09

TODAY'S TURN: Don't crap on Mother Nature

I like my toilet paper fluffy and my tush pampered. None of that rest-stop rag in my house, not when I can freshen up with silken pillow clouds while cottony cherubs massage my delicate skin. But how much is that little extra comfort worth?

The public's perception problem with recycled toilet paper isn't so much the cost as the causticity. Fiber from live trees can be fluffed more and softened up.

But doesn't it seem wrong to rip up lush, miraculous 100-year-old natural wonders - just to wipe ourselves? Sure, nobody likes to feel "discomfort" when using the product, but c'mon, it's not like we'd be wiping with sandpaper.

The New York Times recently ran a revealing article about what recycled toilet paper can do for forests. Print it up for your next bathroom trip. To me, it's a classic case of demand driving corporate action. People just seem to resist recycled TP. But this resistance could be changing. Several recycled brands are growing more comfortable and cheaper. Maybe people will realize there are bigger things in this world than their rear ends.

Bottom line? I think we can tough it out.

(Be sure to check out the end of that NY Times article. Marcal's CEO seems to think that watching your used TP circle the bowl is some sort of circle of life experience. What?)

CLICK HERE TO DO THIS GOOD TURN:
Seventh Generation
Earth Friendly
Green Forest
Marcal

No comments: