11/22/07

Time to nail down the what's and why's

My brother and I were trading e-mails about this site the other day. As he ALWAYS seems to do, he raised some potentially prickly issues. I stumbled and bumbled through some anwers, and realized that since the blog is a brand new baby, it's a good time to mold its personality and set some ground rules.

Here's what you can expect from me and this site:

  • I promise to bring a healthy amount of skepticism to the table, questioning solutions as well as touting them.
  • I have no illusions that I am “the enlightened one”. I'm just one trustworthy source with a solid, informed opinion. I’m no expert, I'm an information sharer. If people disagree, I would LOVE comments and discussions.
  • I'm not the owner of the Right Answers, but simply ideas and alternatives. For any issue, there's more than one answer. The Good Turns found here are the ones I've found. If you've found others, please share them and help us build our resource.
  • Guilt is not a tool that this site intentionally uses. Guilt is debilitating and simply causes resentment or short-term conscious-massaging. Doing a good turn is not about easing your guilt, it's about being more aware of the world and the consequences of your choices. It's seeing things in a whole new way.
  • I'm not here to lay blame or pass judgment. When people are fighting, nothing gets done. I'm much more interested a straightforward discussion of what’s happening (The Issue) and an empowering action to get people engaged (The Good Turn).

Most of all, I want you to feel like part of the solution. I want you to feel ownership over the issue and responsibility for the solution. These Good Turns are Step One.

No comments: