4/17/08

A SOAPBOX MOMENT: Why should companies care?

I'm a capitalist. There, I said it.

I love how it fills the needs of millions of people efficiently. I love seeing talent used to the fullest ability, to innovate, experiment and try new things. I love giving freedom and fuel to the entrepreneurial spirit. No other system can motivate large groups of people to fill the needs of others so well.

BUT, I don't believe corporations can just do whatever the hell they want in the name of "their investors." I believe they do owe the outside world a little sumpin sumpin.

The common argument is that companies exist to benefit their investors. Partly true. Even more true is they have many different stakeholders who invest in different ways: the community who builds roads, buildings, sewers and infrastructure so the business can do business; the customers who keep the business alive; the stores that open around that business to support it, supply it and feed its workers; the schools that educate its future workers; and of course, the people who work there and make the investment worthwhile. The company - and its profits - owe each of them.

Here's an analogy: my first responsibility is to my daughter. It is not my ONLY responsibility. Suppose I could give her a bike only if the other kids on the block had to give theirs up. Should I do it? Of course not. I want to maximize her "profit" or her well-being, but I can't simply ignore my other responsibilities to do it.

I'm not bashing profits. I LOVE profits. Companies should not be ashamed of making a healthy profit. In fact, it's often said that the best way to benefit the greater good is to profit - it means you're adding value. And of course, if a company doesn't profit, it's not going to survive to benefit anyone. But every decision, every action should take all stakeholders into account, not just those seeking an even bigger profit.

Corporate social responsibility isn't about writing checks. Whether or not to make a donation is up to the company, just as it's up to each of us as individuals. It's bigger than that. It means simply acting decently and responsibly as you go about making your profit.

As a citizen who has to do the same, I don't think it's asking too much:

  • Don't trash the planet
  • Don't screw your community over
  • Be fair to your employees and make sure they're safe - in other words, treat them like humans
  • Treat customers fairly and with respect
  • Pay your damned taxes like everyone else
Companies can be highly successful and highly responsible at the same time. I've seen it happen. Individual citizens and other organizations are expected to - why are companies an exception?

Frankly, I hate all the rules that constrain capitalism. I wish we could see what it could do for the world if we took the reins off. I wish the rules weren't necessary. But until companies act responsibly in the pursuit of profit, until they look out for stakeholders other than themselves, I don't know how else to safeguard those stakeholders.

To companies who complain about the rules, I'd say: we're just protecting our best interests - that's capitalism, baby!

Here's a pretty involved debate on the subject involving some people smarter than me.

No comments: