11/13/07

To do a good turn, find one first

This is the first of hopefully many posts. It's sort of an experiment. Here's my theory: I believe that most people want to do the right thing, to make good choices, but they don't have time or resources to find out what those choices are. Sure I might buy a certain coffee brand every day, but how do I know if my brand is socially aware, economically fair and environmentally friendly? For that matter, how the heck would I find out? Honestly, it's all enough to make my head hurt. My guess is there are a lot of hurting heads and vaguely guilty consciences out there. People want to feel good about the choices they make. But as they get bombarded with information, it grows tougher to be sure.

So here we are. Not going to solve all the world's problems, but I'd like to help people find out where and how their decisions can matter to the world around them. I'm not here to preach or slather on more layers of guilt. I just want to make it easier for people to find options to their smallest, everyday decisions that can make the world a better place.

(btw, I'm new to blogging in case you couldn't tell already. So my posts may read a little rough and dry for a bit while I get the hang of it.)

No comments: